Monday 28 May 2018

IMPOSTER ALERT...

Kript-Kachip, Kchip-Kchip Kachip; That is the sound my keyboard makes Every time I punch in some a letter as I was busy rewriting a script for Matashiya Productions next project. It was around 11pm on children's day May 27th 2018, sitting alone in the living room as everyone has gone to bed except myself trying very hard to beat deadline.
The sitting was extraordinarily quiet and I decided to put on the the television, and behold it was on NTA-i and there's this show on air titled "ALI BABA SERIOUSLY". The program was on, and I was busy punching my keyboard, paying little attention to the program until when I heard about a new movie titled "CRAZY PEOPLE", now that caught my attention (every filmmaker will understand). From the gist the film plot sounded familiar, but it's a movie, ideas sound familiar always. Everything was OK until the anchor asked the Producer if the story was a true life story, the Producer (Moses Inwang) answered that it wasn't (which is true) a true life story, but rather an original story (are you sure?) which he thought of after listening to Nigerians saying that "ones they start watching any Nollywood movie they can predict how it's going to end".
Oga Moses, in case you don't know, movie freaks like me have watched that movie since 2016, and it was played by SRK and they weren't speaking English in the one we watched but Hindi. Yes, after watching your crazy people trailer on NTA-i I knew I was watching the trailer of the Nigerian version of Bollywood's "FAN".

{FAN is a 2016 Indian Hindi-language thriller film directed by Maneesh Sharma and co-written by Sharma and Habib Faisal. Produced by Aditya Chopra, the film stars Shah Rukh Khan (SRK) in a double role as filmstar Aryan Khanna and obsessive fan Gaurav Chandra, who look just like each other. Gaurav beats up a rival actor to appease Aryan, but is instead punished by his idol; heartbroken, the fan plans revenge. It also stars Shriya Pilgaonkarand Waluscha de Sousa play supporting roles.}

The stories may differ, but I am writing this piece because I saw some scenes from your trailer that look more like SCENE-LIFTING, the coincidence is too coincidental. So the similarities may be a coincidence, but 70% similarities is all you need to crucify somebody for Copyright violation.
Now before you all start firing back at me, i seriously believe you should watch FAN and Crazy People too, because from the trailer there are almost 4-5 scenes that are already a Carbon Copy of the ones in FAN.
WATCH FAN Trailer 

and 


So My Oga Moses if this is really a fresh idea from your head, and you and who ever is your writer have no idea that the movie FAN exists, then I remove my cap for you, from one writer/filmmaker to another, because I was so fascinated  with the movie FAN when I watched it 2 years ago, do for you to replicate something almost exactly the same two years later, without watching the first one, then na "Over Genius don do you". But if it is not then HABA, WHY Now? When we have lots of stories to tell in Nigeria that we don't need to copy any Hollywood or Bollywood. Stories like '76, 93 Days, Maami, Confusion Nawa, Blood and Henna that are originally ours.
If you have exhausted all your stories, then start looking for stories from other writers, we are a blessed country with a pool of talents and everyday, new writers are coming, am already planning retirement with this my little experience.

To make a movie is not that easy, so even at that I still hail you Mr. Moses Inwang (hope I spelled that correctly?). Oya lets go tell stories, keep making movies as the show must go on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment